Walking your dog without a collar and leash is not only inconvenient but also dangerous. How to choose this accessory for different purposes, what breeds are better suited to certain models, and what are the general selection criteria. Choose the best bark collar.
Choosing an everyday and decorative collar
These two classes of accessories are the most common, so let’s start with them. Everyday collars are suitable for all breeds with a neck diameter smaller than the head girth. They can be made of natural and artificial leather, nylon, as well as a tarpaulin. You need to choose them according to the following parameters:
- Durability – the larger and stronger the dog, the more durable the accessory should be. For especially large breeds, it is better to buy double-layer leather belts, but you need to pay attention to the fact that the leather is not too tough. Otherwise, the collar will chafe your pet’s neck, which can lead to skin irritation and even injury.
- The width is adjusted according to the size of the dog. If the breed is large, then it is worth choosing an accessory of large width, otherwise it will cut into the neck. And for a small dog, too wide a collar will hinder movement. Ideally, two fingers should fit under the collar, but no more.
- The number of holes – the more the better, especially if you are choosing a collar for a young dog whose neck size will change over time. By the way, in long-haired breeds, the neck girth also changes during the seasonal molt, so this is also worth considering.
- Reliability – great attention must be paid to the quality of the fastening of the carabiner and the reliability of the fastening of the accessory, otherwise a strong dog will be able to fall off the leash. It is good if all rings and buckles are welded.
- Accessories – if there are decorative elements on the everyday collar, then they should be located so as not to rub the dog’s neck and not interfere when turning the head.
If you are looking for an everyday accessory for an active and strong dog, then you should pay attention to models with a special expansion under the throat. Too much pressure from the dog will squeeze the neck and force it back. And especially for fast growing puppies there is a model with a semi-automatic fastener, with which you can easily adjust the collar coverage.
By the way, lately everyday collars are made not only of nylon, leather or tarpaulin, but also of special elastic rubber. It is non-allergenic, easy to clean and withstands moisture and temperature extremes that can negatively affect the skin. Such an accessory is inexpensive – from 30-50 UAH.
With a decorative accessory, everything is easier – it must be beautiful. These collars are worn during exhibitions and are intended mainly for small decorative dogs. When choosing such a collar, one should be guided, first of all, by common sense. The amount of jewelry should not compromise the comfort of wearing. Of the interesting modern models, one can note luminous accessories that not only look original but also allow you not to lose sight of your pet in the dark. Decorative models cost from UAH 150.
Chains and noose
If you need the collar not to spoil the beauty of the coat of a long-haired dog, then a chain is perfect for this. It consists of durable metal links and is matched to the same parameters as an everyday accessory. It is recommended to pay special attention to the quality and strength of the links, as one weak link can lead to the collar breaking. The chain costs from UAH 200-250.
The chokes are the same chains, only with a freely sliding loop. Such collars for dogs are chosen for the purpose of behavior correction, if the dog increases the pressure, then the loop squeezes his neck harder. Here, when choosing, it is necessary to take into account the size – the free end of the chain with a fully tightened noose should not be too long, otherwise, it will be unpleasant to hit the dog on the paws and chest. The dimensions of the links are selected in accordance with the dimensions of the dog, the whole structure must withstand the jerk at full strength.
The simplest stranglehold costs from 70-100 UAH.
Choosing a strict collar
If you need to correct the behavior of a very large and strong dog, then the option with a stranglehold will be ineffective, you need a collar model such as a parforce.
A strict collar or parforce is used for training and training large dogs and works on the principle of a stranglehold, but with one caveat. On the inner side of each link of the parfors there are teeth, which, when pulled, dig into the dog’s skin. Parfors are of two types: plate and wire. The lamellar links are flat plates. This model is not suitable for long-haired dogs, but very effective for short-haired breeds. As for wire collars, such collars are chosen for dogs with long hair and are characterized by longer spines.
When choosing a strict collar, you must not only pay great attention to its characteristics, but also use the accessory correctly:
- The collar should fit exactly in size, should not hang down or, on the contrary, fit too tightly. In the latter case, the dog runs the risk of getting hurt when jerking. It is quite easy to adjust the size of the parfors by removing unnecessary links, so it is better to buy an accessory for growth.
- In no case should you use parfors for constant wear, it is worn only during training. Constant wearing can make the animal addictive, and then the training effect of the accessory will come to naught.
- Particular care should be taken when using a sharp collar on strong breeds with short hair, such as Boxers, Doberman Pins or Pit Bulls.
By the way, some modern parlors are equipped with a special leather or fabric insert that will protect your hands when removing and putting on the accessory. And the main rule that you need to remember when using the “stricter” is caution, caution, and again caution. An improperly fitted or fitted chain can seriously injure your pet.